A Parents View

As a parent, one of your roles in life is to look after your children. You pick them up when they are down, nurse them back to health when they are ill and provide a shoulder for them to cry on. The problem is, being a parent of someone who suffers with endometriosis and adenomyosis, you can't nurse them back to health, all you can do is try to keep them positive and make them know you will always be there to support them. 

If someone told me if I gave up my expensive car, my numerous holidays a year and the latest gadgets, my daughter would have a lot more pain free days, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is nothing more frustrating than seeing someone you love in so much pain, knowing that there is nothing you can do about it. That is not what is suppose to happen, I should be able to fix everything as a Dad, but I can't. If I could share some of the pain I would do it in the blink of an eye. It makes me very sad that this can never be the case. 

So what can I do as a parent? I can try and understand this horrid condition more so that I appreciate what my 'little girl' is going through, although I will never pretend to know what it is like to be in constant pain. I can listen and try to support Amy as much as possible and more importantly, we can talk about it. You can't stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away, it won't, it's a lifelong condition. 

When Amy told me she was to start writing a blog I thought it was a good thing. A way for her to express her feelings and explain how much pain she was in. When she started, it lifted her spirits knowing maybe she was helping other 'Endo Warriors ' along the way. Many people around the world have read her daily blogs and it makes me very proud that she has had the courage to do it. There are many people suffering with endometriosis and adenomyosis and it would be good to share your experiences. What helps you with dealing with the condition may help others. As I said earlier, it's good to talk....

Gary (Amy's Dad)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Womb-less

30th June

"How are you feeling?"